SACRED HEART CHURCH
Blessing and first holy mass of this church was held on 17th December 1907 and established it as a parish in 1908. It was the dream of French missionaries to establish Sacred Heart’s devotion in India. This dream was be a shape when Rt. Rev. Gandy, Archbishop of Puducherry and Rev. Fr. Teresfore Walter, the parish priest of Nellithope , jointed hands to establish a new church. Fr. Walter prepares the building plan and Fr. Fourcaud commenced the construction in 1902.
Sacred church is 50 meters length, 48 meters width and 18 meters height, which was structured with 24 main columns. On the entrance we can see biblical words and the carvings of sacred heart of Jesus and Mother Mary. Inside, the church is decorated with Indo-European architecture work. We can see 28 glass paintings of saints, who devote their life for the sacred heart of Lord Jesus. The statue of Madonna (covered with blue sari ) placed at the right site of the high alter and stained glass panels which reveals the whole life of the Jesus Christ are another attractive feature of this church.
Now this church goes through 100 years .To Honour this historical moment India Post issued on 19.06.2009 a commemorative stamp having the denomination of Rs. 5.00 and also a first day cover.
First Day Cover with special cancellation